Sometimes the end of the year can feel awkward. You’re spending time with a lot of people you don’t usually spend time with, you’re eating a lot of food you don’t usually eat, and if none of that’s true for you, you are most likely spending a lot of your time thinking about the past year you experienced and the next year you are about to.
For me, I usually think back on everything I did or didn’t accomplish, and I try to imagine what I want for the next year, spiritual goals and natural ones. Honestly, I have found that if I let myself I can easily get discouraged, so surely for you dear reader, you have the same temptation.
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up.
These scriptures have so much depth, i will do my best people, but i encourage you to really think on it as well.
Its interesting that the Lord says, “let us strip off every weight that slows us down”, making it clear that we have a decision to either let the circumstances slow us down or we can strip off (remove all coverings) of any and all things keeping us from doing what God has for us. So okay, it’s a decision, and of course it seems obvious, we would decide to remove all of those things, but how? Well, let’s look at the word endurance.
Endurance – denoting or relating to a race or other sporting event that takes place over a long distance or otherwise demands great physical stamina.
The Lord says clearly, “Let us run with endurance… We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith”
We are able to run towards what God has for us with great physical stamina by keeping our eyes on Jesus! By looking at what he endured physically! By thinking on what He endured spiritually! Then we will experience freedom, and perfect endurance, not becoming weary.
Here are a few tips to help you endure the end of the year!
- Write down some scriptures to say each day, and journal/ think on how they apply to and excite you for the next year.
- Write down and think on what you believe God has done for you this past year and what He has for you to do the next.
- Talk to your friends and or family about what God is speaking to you regarding the next year and ask them the same thing.
- Learn to recognize the things in your life that God is speaking for you to change, the things that are in the way of you running with great stamina, focus your eyes on Jesus and decide to let them go.
- Finally, set all of these things before you each day, on your mirror, your phone wallpaper, your desk, anywhere!
Anytime there are things or thoughts that try and keep you from enduring, pull these out and think about the things that excite you. Pull out your scriptures and focus your attention and energy on them. Focus with great physical stamina on Jesus!